Monday, August 10, 2009

Local Reaction to National Texting and Driving Ban



Aug. 10, 2009

It has been 40 days since Onondaga County banned texting and driving. Since the ban, there has been a lot more scrutiny for a nationwide ban.

Reaction We Got

In general, people from the Central New York area seem to support a national ban on texting and driving. Most everyone we spoke with agreed that it is very dangerous.

Enforcing a Ban

"I don't think that it's realistic, because the thing is how would they know if you're texting and driving..." Syracuse resident, Skylar Andrews said. "I text with it down in my lap and I know where all the letters are."

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA


Personal Experiences

"There have been a few times in my life where I have tried to do that and I quickly realized, you know, that I was putting myself in danger. Ithaca resident, Barry Durfel said. "So I don't do it anymore, but I think a ban would motivate people. "

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA


What's next

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has said that he is in favor of a national ban on texting and driving and will be at a summit next month to discuss the issue.

The summit will include people from groups such as the following:
- senior transportation officials
- law enforcement representatives
- members of congress
- people who study distracted driving

No comments:

Post a Comment